BMI View : While Venezuela has made headway into 4G with its recent 4G mobile licence tender, we remain bearish towards its impact on mobile broadband growth. U ncertainty regarding the political situation a long with the deteriorating economy has lowered confidence and caus ed Venezuelans to leave their higher-value subscriptions for more basic ones. The ongoing threat of socialist reforms continues to weigh heavily on the Venezuelan investment climate. The government's heavy influence over the telecoms market, with state-owned firms playing major roles, could have negative consequences over the short-to-medium term. For now, the government continues to push a telecoms access for all policy, with growth momentum maintai ned during Q213 in mobile, fixed- line, broadband and pay-TV services.
In the fixed-line market, Venezuela continues to report growth, according to Conatel. The market finished with 7.86mn subscriptions in 2013, up by 2.8% from 2012 levels.
Conatel reported Venezuela had 14.95mn internet users and 3.7mn broadband subscriptions in 2013.
Key Trends & Developments
President Nicolás Maduro has issued a decree to transfer Venezue la's telecoms regulator Conatel to operate under the authority of the Ministry of Popular Power for Communication and Information (MinCI). Additionally, the Venezuelan government has issued its second announcement for the tender of six blocks of spectrum in the AWS and 2.5GHz bands in order to attract new players to provide mobile broadband services.
At President Maduro's request, MinCI and Conatel will regulate pay-TV content with new entity the New Television Promotor Committee to evaluate. The decision was made over concerns that TV content promoted hate and violence. Head of MinCI Delcy Rodriguez stated that the regulators would evaluate the impact TV content has in the formation of values. Industry executives have expressed commitment to adapting content to those values. In addition,...
The Venezuela Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Venezuela's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Venezuela Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Venezuela.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Venezuela to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Venezuelan telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Venezuela's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Venezuela.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Ratings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Ratings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Ratings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The ratings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2017 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.