BMI View: Convergence services will drive long-term growth for telecoms service providers in the UAE , given the growing demand for bundled services on the back of extensive next generation broadband access infrastructure and high consumer spending. du's 'Smart Home' services will resonate with consumers, but the operator faces intense competition from incumbent operator Etisalat in the budding convergence services market. Competition between the operators and the device manufacturers has led to greater innovation as the companies look to differentiate their services.
The mobile market grew by 4.9% q-o-q in Q114 and 17.1% y-o-y in the 12 months March 2014.
The fixed-line sector grew by 1.2% q-o-q in Q114 and 5.1% y-o-y in the 12 months to March 2014.
The fixed broadband sector grew by 3.1% q-o-q in Q114 and 9.4% y-o-y in the 12 months to March 2014.
Market average mobile ARPU fell by 4.4% Q-o-q and 10.7% y-o-y in Q114.
The UAE remained in fourth position in this quarter's update to BMI's Risk/Reward Ratings (RRR) table with an aggregate score of 57.7, down slightly from 58 in our previous update. The UAE's telecoms market experienced strong subscriptions growth across the three main service sectors in 2013 and Q114, while country's main telecoms service providers also recorded impressive financial results over the same period. Furthermore, a stable political environment and strong private consumption growth helped boost it Country Risk rating. However, the country continues to score poorly in the Industry Risk category owing to strong state influence on the telecoms sector.
Carrier billing for mobile apps will receive strong attention in the Middle East given the convenience it provides for users and the growth potential for operators and app store vendors alike. In June 2014, Etisalat became the first operator in the region to launch carrier billing for Google's Google Play store for its customers...
The United Arab Emirates Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of United Arab Emirates's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's United Arab Emirates Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in United Arab Emirates.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for United Arab Emirates to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Emirati telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in United Arab Emirates's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in United Arab Emirates.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Rankings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Rankings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Rankings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The rankings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.