BMI View: Swed en continues to be one of the m ost advance d telec oms markets in the world, evidenced by new regulatory data showing that adoption rates for high-speed fibre and mobile broadband service s accelerated in 2013. As these platforms host more expensive se rvices, this bodes well for growth in data usa ge-related servi ce revenues, softening the loss of income from traditional v oice and other non-data services. The purchase of Tele2 's consumer broadb and and VoIP business by Telen or gave that company a welcome b oost in scale, but it remains to be seen wheth er it can fully capitalise on the opportunities presented by converg ed services.
The latest operator data for Q114 show that the mobile market reached 14.424mn users for a penetration rate of 149.8%.
LTE subscription growth accelerated in 2013, to 1.546mn connections, coinciding with the arrival of a wider range of LTE-enabled handsets.
Growth in fixed broadband subscriptions is heavily weighted to higher speed technologies such as fibre, with subscriptions up 15.2% year-on-year (y-o-y) to 1.191mn at the end of 2013. Meanwhile DSL and cable subscriptions continued to decline.
Total M2M connections rose to 5.185mn in 2013, up by 31.2% y-o-y. Rising revenues and traffic bode well for this segment.
In June 2014, cable broadband operator Com Hem revealed plans to list on the stock market. This will provide the company with the increased financial flexibility needed to develop new services for a market that is being disrupted by infrastructure-agnostic over-the-top (OTT) services. Its recently-launched TiVo digital TV on-demand service provided some much needed respite from revenue shrinkage in Q114, highlighting the importance of next-generation products to its long-term survival.
Although Com Hem primarily sees the offering as an opportunity to help pay down its debt to a more manageable 4.15 times adjusted 2014 EBITDA, BMI believes it may...
The Sweden Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Sweden's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Sweden Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Sweden.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Sweden to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Swedish telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Sweden's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Sweden.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Rankings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Rankings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Rankings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The rankings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.