BMI View : Sri Lanka's telecoms market is mature when compar ed with its regional peers : penetration rates are high, 3G licences were first available in 2007 and , by mid-2013 two Sri Lankan operators had launched 4G LTE services with more launches expected in the near future . Sri Lanka is also seeking to improve speeds in the wireline market, with a national broadband network strategy taking shape as the government aims to facilitate internet access. While Sri Lanka is relatively well developed, its progress has not always been smooth, as the civil war previously preven t ed the development of telecoms infrastructure in affected areas in the north of the island. Since the end of the civil war , private and public sectors are aggressively investing in the reconstruction and expansion process.
The telecoms regulator reported a sharp drop in mobile subscriptions in Q113 as it adopted a new definition of active subscriptions. However growth in Q213 indicates that the trend of underlying subscription growth is continuing.
Operator ARPU has been increasing in Sri Lanka, but we believe ARPU will begin to decline from 2014 as price competition in a saturated market will outweigh the positive contribution from migration of users to data services. The fixed and mobile broadband markets have continued to expand, with the latest data showing fixed internet subscriptions increased 15% to 438,000 in Q213, while mobile internet subscriptions increased 35.7% y-o-y to 1.038mn.
Key Trends And Developments
The LTE market in Sri Lanka is developing rapidly. Dialog Axiata was the first operator to launch commercial LTE services for mobile in April 2013 in the capital Colombo, followed by the June 2013 launch by Mobitel, the mobile subsidiary of Sri Lanka Telecom, in seven cities within Sri Lanka. Etisalat is expected to launch services in the near future, while in September 2013 it was reported that Lanka Bell, a fixed-wireless telephony...
The Sri Lanka Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Sri Lanka's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Sri Lanka Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Sri Lanka.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Sri Lanka to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Sri Lankan telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Sri Lanka's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Sri Lanka.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Ratings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Ratings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Ratings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The ratings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2017 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.