BMI View: South Korea is one of the most advanced markets in the world and is often used as a reference point to determine the direction of other developed markets. The rapid migration of subscribers from 3G to LTE shows the country to be at the forefront of adopting new technologies. T he number of LTE subscriptions passed 22mn by the end of June 2013, and may even outnumber 3G by end - 2013 . There is a dwindling population still using 2G services , but we expect this to end by 2015. This has perhaps caused a slowdown of fixed broadband connections, while growth in VoIP is mitigating the loss of PTSN fixed voice connections. With plans to launch LTE Advanced in September 2013, the South Korean market shows just how much demand for data is driving revenues.
The mobile market has continued to expand, even with penetration above 111% by September 2013. Total subscriptions reached 55.129mn in Q313,The fixed-line market is still expanding, mostly due to the growth of VoIP, but it is slowing noticeably. Growth in the broadband market has slowed due to a combination of high penetration of wireline services and the competition from LTE services.
Following the auction of 1,800MHz spectrum for the use of LTE services, all three operators announced planned extensions of their respective services. KT announced it would be implementing LTE-Advanced (LTE-A) in the capital Seoul and the surrounding regions from September 2013, and throughout most major cities by March 2014. KT is trailing its rivals, with SK Telecom having launched LTE-A services for smartphones in July 2013, and it plans to roll-out the service to 84 cities nationwide. Finally, LG U+ launched its LTE-Advanced network in July 2013 in the capital Seoul, as well as in other major cities.
South Korea's telecoms market could receive an injection of foreign investment following the decision by the government to lift the foreign ownership cap on the telecoms sector in...
The South Korea Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of South Korea's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's South Korea Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in South Korea.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for South Korea to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Korean telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in South Korea's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in South Korea.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Ratings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Ratings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Ratings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The ratings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.