BMI View : Qatar's telecoms industry is among the highest value in the world, with ARPU s supported by high incomes. The fixed-line, broadband and mobile sectors all record ed subscriptions growth in 2013, on the back of strong competition on price and quality of services between incumbent operator Ooredoo and Vodafone. However, w ith the mobile penetration now above 170%, we expect telecoms operators to increase their focus on higher value data and converged services for the enterprise and consumer markets in order to sustain revenue growth over the long term. Combined with strong government support for the development of next generation broadband networks, as well as its determination to transform Doha into a sma rtcity, BMI has a positive long- term growth outlook for Qatar's telecoms market.
The mobile market grew 19.4% y-o-y to 3.722mn subscriptions in 2013.
Market weighted average ARPU depreciated by 7.2% y-o-y to QAR131 in 2013.
The fixed-line market grew by 3.1% in 2013.
The fixed broadband market grew by 14.4% in 2013.
Qatar remained in third position on our RRR table this quarter, despite a 3-point drop in its aggregate score to 59.8. The decline was largely attributable to the move into a new five-year forecast period ending in 2018, leading to a lower average annual growth forecast as the mobile market approaches saturation. Qatar still scores above the regional average in all four categories of our ratings table, including the second highest score in the Country Risks category after Saudi Arabia, which reflects a strong private consumption growth outlook.
Qatar's telecoms regulator, ictQatar, announced two important developments during the first three months of 2014. In February, ictQatar finalised the new radio spectrum frequency licensing framework, which is expected to allow the regulator greater flexibility in licensing radio spectrum in order to ensure efficient use of...
The Qatar Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Qatar's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Qatar Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Qatar.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Qatar to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Qatari telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Qatar's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Qatar.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Ratings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Ratings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Ratings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The ratings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.