BMI View : Despite Qatar's small population and one of the highest mobile penetration rates in the region, there remain considerable subscriptions and revenue growth opportunities for the country's two telecoms operators, Ooredoo and Vodafone Qatar. On one hand, the influx of migrant workers to support the construction boom will sustain subscriptions growth, while on the other, high spending power among Qataris will underpin strong de mand for 4G and converged wireline telecoms services. Competition between the two operators for these high value segments of the market will drive network expansion and the development of new data-focused services for enterprises and consumers.
The mobile market grew 10.7% year-on-year (y-o-y) and 1.7% quarter-on-quarter (q-o-q) in Q314.
Market weighted average ARPU depreciated by 0.8% y-o-y in Q314, reversing from an uptick in Q214.
The fixed-line market grew by more than 6% y-o-y in Q314.
Qatar fell from second to fourth position on our Telecoms Risk/Reward Index this quarter, on the back of a 1.5-point drop in its aggregate score to 60.6. Nevertheless, Qatar still scores above the regional average in all four categories of our ratings table, including the highest score in the Country Risks category, which reflects a strong private consumption growth outlook.
BMI believes Ooredoo's success in growing its high value wireline and converged services business will enable it to offset the impact of Vodafone's strong performance in the mobile market. While Vodafone has begun competing with Ooredoo in the fixed-line and FTTH markets, first launching the service in conjunction with Q.NBN in October 2012, it remains a long way behind its rival with just 6,000 fixed-line and broadband subscriptions in June 2014.
We therefore took a positive view of Vodafone's bid to acquire Q.NBN for around QAR210mn in October 2014. Although Q.NBN would have remained a non-discriminatory...
The Qatar Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Qatar's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Qatar Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Qatar.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Qatar to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Qatari telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Qatar's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Qatar.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Rankings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Rankings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Rankings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The rankings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.