BMI View: Pakistan's telecommunications market is one of the most underdeveloped in Asia Pacific. The regulator has successfully auctioned its 3G licences, paving the way for higher value-added services (VAS) to be introduced to the market. This leaves Pakistan with significant room for growth, although the potential could materialise only in the medium-to - long term.
Pakistan's mobile sector continues to fluctuate due to events such as restrictions on SIM sales through retail channels. There were 131.5mn mobile subscribers in the country at the end of 2013, up from 121.9mn in December 2012. Mobile broadband solutions, particularly EV-DO, continued to outperform and have overtaken DSL.
ARPUs are expected to continue trending downwards due to the reliance on 2G services and rural expansion, as well as government-enforced network outages in light of security concerns.
Pakistan is in 13th position in BMI's Asia Pacific Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings, with a score of 43.9 out of 100. According to most indications, the economy is on track to record its highest annual real GDP growth rate since FY2006/07 (July-June), in line with our estimate for full-year growth to come in at 4.0% in FY2012/13. Among other factors, a critical driving force behind Pakistan's slowly improving economic environment in recent years has been the aggressive easing of monetary policy by the State Bank of Pakistan
Key Trends And Developments
In April 2014, the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority auctioned off 3G and 4G spectrum. Four of Pakistan's five main mobile operators - which include Mobilink, Telenor Pakistan and Ufone - took part in the process and all four came away with 2.1-GHz spectrum, which has been designated for 3G services. China Mobile, which operates locally as Zong, was the only one to also pick up 4G, or 1800-MHz, spectrum.
With effect from July 1 2013 the Federal Board of Revenue has increased the withholding tax on...
The Pakistan Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Pakistan's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Pakistan Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Pakistan.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Pakistan to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Pakistani telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Pakistan's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Pakistan.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Rankings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Rankings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Rankings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The rankings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.