BMI View: Oman's mobile, fixed-line and broadband markets continued to grow in Q114, despite relatively high penetration rates. This was largely due to population growth and the uptake of new technologies, particularly 3G/4G connections and high-speed broadband services. This development will sustain long-term revenue growth for the operators through the upselling of high-value services to residential and business customers amid market saturation and declining subscriptions growth.
Mobile subscriptions increased to 0.1% quarter-on-quarter (q-o-q) in Q114 to bring the penetration rate to 143.3%.
Fixed-line subscriptions continued to grow in Q114, up 1.3% q-o-q.
Total dial-up subscriptions declined by 6.2% q-o-q in Q114, while fixed broadband subscriptions increased by 6% over the same period.
Dedicated and standard mobile broadband subscriptions increased by 3.4% q-o-q and 11% respectively in Q114.
Key Trends And Developments
In a bid to diversify its services portfolio, Omantel launched Managed Video conferencing as a Service (MvaaS) solution for businesses in August 2014.The service enables Omani companies and governments organisations to conduct video meetings efficiently over ADSL, ILL, ISDN local or international point-to-point connectivity. The MvaaS is part of Omantel's enterprise solutions strategy, which aims to take advantage of the emerging opportunities in the countries corporate sector.
Apart from the operators, other third-party service providers are also rolling out enterprise solutions for private and public institutions. In July, US-based Machine-to-Machine (M2M) solutions provider Orbcomm announced that Mahd Telecom, its Oman-based partner for the sultanate and other GCC countries, has been granted regulatory approval to provide Orbcomm services in the country. This allows for installation of a new Orbcomm Gateway Earth Station (GES) in Oman and the completion of the radio spectrum licensing process.
The Oman Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Oman's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Oman Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Oman.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Oman to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Omani telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Oman's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Oman.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Rankings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Rankings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Rankings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The rankings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.