BMI View: Mozambique has a fast-growing economy thanks to its natural resources and agricultural industry. The Mozambican government continue s to show its commitment towards the development of healthcare infrastructure by tackling the country ' s shortages of health professionals and clinic with the aid of foreign investors. However, barriers to investment remain, including high levels of corruption and low-level political instability, working against market growth.
Headline Expenditure Forecasts
Pharmaceuticals: MZN6.64bn (USD220mn) in 2013 to MZN6.90bn (USD223mn) in 2014; +3.9% in local currency and +4.8% in US dollar terms. Forecast revised up from last quarter to better suit current market conditions.
Healthcare: MZN30.09bn (USD1.00bn) in 2013 to MZN33.07bn (USD1.07bn) in 2014; +9.9% in local currency and +6.9% in US dollar terms. Forecast revised up from last quarter to better suit current market conditions.
Mozambique has a score of 29.5 out of 100 in our Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index (RRI) for Q115, an increase from last quarter's score of 25.9. The country has moved up three places, making it the 28th most attractive pharmaceutical market in the Middle East and Africa (MEA) region. While the country is posting good economic growth, political unrest is emerging as well as outbreaks of violence.
Key Trends And Developments
Health authorities in Mozambique are planning to deliver training to more health professionals to ensure that there is at least one medical examiner in each provincial capital by 2016, reports Club of Mozambique. For the country's 10 provinces, there are currently only eight Mozambican medical examiners, as well as some examiners from the Cuban Cooperation. More than 10 graduates are being trained in forensic medicine in the country, according to Virgil Supper, the national director of Forensic Medicine, Ministry of Health Programmes.
Mozambique has signed a memorandum of understanding...
The Mozambique Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Mozambique Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Mozambique pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Mozambique, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Mozambican pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Mozambican pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Mozambique.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMI’s forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI’s political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per ‘000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMI’s Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
BMI’s Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the market’s risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales – for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.