BMI View: With a mobile penetration rate of 92% at the end of June 2012, Moldova's mobile market still has considerable growth potential. However, the majority of the population (58.3% at the end of 22011, according to BMI data) live in rural areas and may be unable to access mobile services because of cost or lack of network coverage. Despite the introduction of 3G network services, Moldova's fixed broadband sector continues to record strong subscriber growth, a development we expect to sustain demand for fixed-line voice services, albeit it at a declining rate of growth.
- The mobile market grew by 2.7% in H112, compared to 3.4% during the same period in 2011.
- The fixed-line market grew by 0.8% in H112, compared to 0.9% during the same period in 2011.
- Broadband subscriptions grew by 8.4% in H112, compared to 14.5% a year earlier.
- Mobile, fixed-line and broadband ARPUs trended downwards in the two years to June 2012.
Moldova remained in 18th (last) position on BMI's CEE telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings table for Q113, scoring below the regional average on all four ratings categories. The country's lowest score was in the country rewards category, reflecting a low rate of urbanisation and GDP per capita. The industry rewards and country rewards scores were largely held back by low ARPUs in the mobile sector and low average private consumption growth over the five years to 2017, compared to many other countries in the region.
Moldova's mobile market is gearing up for LTE services after the government announced in July 2012 that it will issue 4G LTE licences to the country's three mobile operators - Orange, Moldcell and Unite. The operators will receive spectrum in 2,500-2,690MHz and 3,600-3,750MHz bands upon the payment of EUR10mn licence fees. The telecoms regulator, ANRCETI, also plans to launch a public tender for spectrum in the 3,750-3,800MHz bands with a minimum licence fee of EUR1mn, as...
The Moldova Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Moldova's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Moldova Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Moldova.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Moldova to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Moldovan telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Moldova's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Moldova.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Ratings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Ratings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Ratings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The ratings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.