BMI View: The broadband sector outperformed the mobile and fixed telephony sectors in 2012 and 2013, albeit from a low base, on the back of investments in next generation wireless and wireline access technologies, including 4G LTE and FTTx. Although we expect this trend to continue for most of our forecast period to 2017, we caution that service providers need to find ways to diversify their offerings further in order to sustain revenue growth amid growing market saturation and stagnating revenues from traditional services.
The mobile market declined by 2.8% in 9M13, partially offsetting FY12 growth of 13.2%.
The fixed-line market grew by 2.4% in 2012 and 0.8% in 9M13 to maintain a remarkable uptrend, despite fixed-to-mobile substitution.
The broadband market grew by 24.1% in 2012 and 14.8% in 9M13 to bring the broadband penetration rate to 19.6% by the end of September 2013.
Mobile and fixed-line ARPU trended downwards in the 12 months to September 2013, while broadband ARPU trended upwards during the same period.
Moldova is in 23 rd and last position in BMI's CEE Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings table for Q114, scoring below the regional average on all four ratings categories and with the addition of five new countries for 2014 pushing it further down the ratings. The country's lowest scores were in the industry rewards and country rewards category, reflecting slow subscription growth and declining ARPUs, as well as a low rate of urbanisation and GDP per capita.
Moldova's National Regulatory Agency for Electronic Communications and Information Technology (ANRCETI) announced in November 2013 that the tender for the allocation of additional frequencies had failed to attract any bidders. Frequencies in the 1900MHz and 2100MHz ranges, which are used for 3G capacity, were advertised by ANRECTI in September 2013 for 3G UMTS and CDMA2000 use for a period of 15 years. However, the country's existing operators that...
The Moldova Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Moldova's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Moldova Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Moldova.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Moldova to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Moldovan telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Moldova's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Moldova.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Ratings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Ratings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Ratings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The ratings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.