BMI View: Jordan's telecoms market is set to receive a boost in Q414 as Zain plans to launch the country's first 4G network before the end of the year, after acquiring a licence and spectrum in April . Although Zain's decision poses an upside risk to BMI 's 3G/4G growth forecast for Jordan , this may be mitigated by a lack of competition, as Orange and Umniah have not yet indicated any plans to also acquire 4G licences and spectrum. Both operators have felt the impa ct of strong competition, as the mobile market approaches saturation , and increased telecoms taxes on their revenues, and therefore have limited capacity and willingness to make heavy investments in network upgrades. The financial pressures on operators do not look set to ease up over the coming quarters , and we see this as a considerable risk to investors and growth in Jordan's telecoms market . Key Data
Jordan's mobile market grew by 2.0% in the year to June 2014, but contracted by 2.0% q-o-q in Q214.
Mobile ARPU continued its downward trend, with mobile operators Zain and Orange both reporting continued decline in H114.
The pace of decline in the fixed-line sector slowed down Q114, with period-o-q contraction of 0.2%.
The internet sector also contracted by 2.6% in Q114, owing to a decline in dedicated data subscriptions.
Jordan stayed in 11 th position in BMI's Risk/Reward Ratings table for Middle East And North Africa in the Q414 update, and its score remained virtually unchanged at 46.4, compared to 46.5 in the previous update. Jordan scores below the regional average in the Industry Rewards, Country Rewards and Country Risk categories of our ratings table. The government's decision to raise taxes on the telecoms sector has already weighed on operators' profitability and subscriptions growth, but it has continued to dampen the business environment with high licence renewal and 4G licence and spectrum fees. These circumstances could...
The Jordan Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Jordan's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Jordan Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Jordan.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Jordan to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Jordanian telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Jordan's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Jordan.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Rankings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Rankings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Rankings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The rankings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.