BMI View: Ghana's mobile market recorded significantly slower growth in FY13 compared to the two previous years, a sign of increasing market saturation and fewer new subscriber acquisition opportunities. Meanwhile, t he country's mobile operators took a hit in their finances from adverse macroeconomic and regulatory factors in 2013 , such as the depreciation of the local currency, tax increases and fines for p oor quality of service (QoS). These developments will shape operators' strategies in 2014, with high network investments, tariff increases and roll out of more non-voice services among the key trends we expect to see during the year.
The Ghanaian mobile market grew by 1.7% q-o-q in Q413 and 9.4% y-o-y in FY13, compared to 2.9% q-o-q and 21% y-o-y in Q412 and FY12 respectively.
The mobile data market grew by 1% q-o-q in Q413, driven by falling tariffs and availability of low-cost smartphones.
The fixed-line market contracted by 2.5% q-o-q in Q413 and 5.1% y-o-y in FY13, compared to growth of 3.7% q-o-q and 0.1% y-o-y in Q412 and FY12 respectively.
Risk/ Reward Ratings
Ghana climbs one place to fourth position on BMI's Risk/Reward ratings table this quarter, behind Nigeria, Angola and South Africa. Ghana scores above the regional average in all four of our ratings categories. The country's lowest rating is in the Industry Rewards category where it is held back by increasing market saturation and strong downward pressure on ARPUs despite the rapid uptake of mobile data services.
Key Trends And Developments
In line with BMI's view of the need for increasing interoperability on m-commerce platforms, in the end of December 2013 the chief executive of Ghana Interbank Payment and Settlement Systems (GhIPSS) announced that it will launch a unified mobile banking platform for all bank accounts holders in 2014. The new m-commerce platform, called gh-link and developed in collaboration with e-transact, will allow subscribers to connect...
The Ghana Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Ghana's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Ghana Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Ghana.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Ghana to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Ghanaian telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Ghana's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Ghana.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Ratings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Ratings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Ratings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The ratings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.