BMI View: Ghana's mobile market recorded significantly slower growth in 9M13 compared to the same period in 2011 and 2012, a sign of increasing market saturation with the mobile penetration rate now above 100%. Although there are considerable new subscriber growth opportunities in rural areas, we expect the mobile operators to pursue value growth by expanding their data and other non-voice service offerings in urban areas in order to offset the sluggish revenue growth from traditional voice services. Meanwhile, the country's fixed-line sector will continue to underperform in the short to medium term owing to lack of competition and limited investment in network infrastructure development.
The Ghanaian mobile market grew by 2% q-o-q in Q313, compared with 2.1% in the previous quarter and 6.5% a year earlier.
Mobile ARPU contracted by 5% in Q313, reflecting continued fierce competition in the mobile market.
The fixed-line market contracted by 1.1% q-o-q in Q313.
Risk/ Reward Ratings
Ghana climbs one place to fifth position on BMI's Risk/Reward ratings table this quarter, behind Nigeria, Angola, South Africa and Gabon. Ghana scores above the regional average in all four of our ratings categories. The country's lowest rating is in the Industry Rewards category where it is held back by increasing market saturation and strong downward pressure on ARPUs despite the rapid uptake of mobile data services.
Key Trends And Developments
Vodafone Ghana has lost a long-running legal battle with local vendor International Rom. In November 2013, the commercial division of the High Court in Accra ordered the operator to settle a debt of over US$11mn in overdue bills and accumulated interest to the Tema-based vendor. International Rom filed a lawsuit against Vodafone in 2009 for illegally terminating a number of agreements signed in 2003 for the provision of complete turnkey services and refusing to pay the outstanding bills. On May 15 2013, the court...
The Ghana Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Ghana's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Ghana Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Ghana.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Ghana to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Ghanaian telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Ghana's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Ghana.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Ratings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Ratings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Ratings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The ratings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.