BMI View: Chile is one of the most developed telecoms markets in Latin America , making it a high value market for operators, but market maturity does bring its own challenges. A high penetration rate in the mobile market means subscription growth opportunities are diminished, requiring operators to target subscription migration, wireless data services and value-added service . Operator strategies are as a result focused on high capacity service development. Claro launched the first 4G LTE service in June 2013 , while Movistar launched in November 2013 and Entel set to follow in March 2014. Operators are generating return on investment, as Chile's mobile internet market grew four times faster than the average of its OECD peers, according to a new report from the international organisation. Chile's impressive performance support s our already positive view of the country's developments and particularly its leadership among Latin American telecoms markets.
The mobile market recorded the first ever quarterly subscription loss in Q313 due to the discounting of inactive subscriptions by Claro. However, growth was already slowing as a result of market saturation.
Broadband subscriptions are increasing rapidly in Chile, with mobile broadband growth the strongest segment of the market.
Pay-TV growth is also robust, boosted by converged service provision, with total subscriptions up 10.6% year-on-year to 2.347mn at the end of June 2013.
Key Trends & Developments
Chile's 4G market is developing rapidly with the three leading operators all on course to have launched commercial services by March 2013. Claro commercially deployed Chile's first LTE network in the Santiago metropolitan area in June 2013. Movistar followed with the launch of services in November 2013, while Entel has stated its service will be available from March 2014. Although all three will offer LTE services, it is Claro that has taken a lead in terms of coverage,...
The Chile Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Chile's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Chile Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Chile.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Chile to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Chilean telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Chile's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Chile.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Ratings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Ratings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Ratings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The ratings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2017 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.