BMI View : A f ragile Argentine economy will have a hugely negative impact on the telecoms sector in 2014, as high inflation and concerns about currency stability will affect the purchasing power of Argentine people . A s inflation is expected to move above 30%, the mobile market has shed nearly 1.5mn customers in H114. However, BMI suspects that this is partly due to discounting inactive mobile customers. A f altering economy may impact the upcoming October 2014 auction of 3G and 3G spectrum, however , four companies have already pre-qualified. There are also several bright spots, including growing interest in pay-TV as operators increase the availability of multi-play options. Merging operations to offer converged services also supports this trend and enables operators to lower their costs, supporting the market's long - term growth potential.
Mobile connections fell by 1.477mn in H14 and growth is expected to slow significantly as operators upgrade existing subscribers to next generation networks.
There were 9.465mn lines in service at the end of June 2014, with INDEC data showing this rising slightly from 9.145mn at the end of the 2013 year. The broadband market continues to be the market's most dynamic, with connections on the rise. 18.5mn are forecast to be in service in 2014.
Key Trends & Developments
The government of Argentina plans to auction national 4G spectrum in the 700MHz and 1,700MHz/2,100MHz advanced wireless services (AWS) frequency bands and also regional 3G spectrum in the 850MHz SRMC and 1,900MHz personal communications service ranges on October 31 2014. Five companies have pre-qualified for the auction - Claro Argentina, Telecom Personal, Telefonica Moviles, Nextel and Grupo Uno. Under the 15-year licences, the winning bidders of the 4G spectrum will be required to cover all the locations with more than 500 inhabitants within a period of five years. The 3G spectrum licences are divided into three...
The Argentina Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Argentina's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Argentina Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Argentina.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Argentina to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Argentinian telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Argentina's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Argentina.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Rankings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Rankings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Rankings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The rankings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.