BMI View : Argentina's telecoms market continues to show potential , but the threat of increasing government intervention offer s considerable downside to the long-term picture. Nevertheless, there are several bright spots , including growing interest in pay-TV as operators increase the availability of multi-play options. Merging operations to offer converged services also supports this trend, and enables operators to lower their costs , supporting the market's long term growth potential. New entrants in the mobile sector in the form of MVNOs will boost growth, even as the penetration rate passes 150%. Operators have bucked the trend of falling ARPU, leading BMI to revise forecasts upward s over the 2014-2018 period.
Mobile connections jumped by a further 1.4mn in Q413, but growth is still expected to slow significantly as operators upgrade existing subscribers to next generation networks.
Fixed voice subscriptions increased in 2013, but we expect longer term growth to be minimal and decline to set in before the end of our forecast period.
The broadband market continues to be the market's most dynamic, with connections on the rise. 18.5mn are forecast to be in service in 2014.
Key Trends & Developments
Following several years of scrutiny by the government, Telecom Italia confirmed plans to sell its stake in Telecom Argentina in November 2013. The company received an unsolicited bid for its 22.7% share in Telecom Argentina from investment firm Fintech Advisory and this was expected to be completed in mid-2014. BMI believes Telecom Argentina's strong growth over the past year encouraged Telecom Italia to get out of the market at the top, with an uncertain regulatory environment looming over the telecoms sector offering long-term growth concerns.
In late October 2013, the supreme court of Argentina upheld a controversial media law to reduce market concentration as being in line with the constitution. The legislation dates back...
The Argentina Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Argentina's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Argentina Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Argentina.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Argentina to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Argentinian telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Argentina's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Argentina.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Rankings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Rankings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Rankings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The rankings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.